View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 07:00 AM   #69
thelenian

thelenian is on a distinguished road
That, however, is an invalid comparison. Your brother had been training for twice as long as your cousin. On top of that, your cousin seems to have been trained primarily in boxing. I doubt those results would be duplicated had your cousin a) trained just as long as your brother, and b) focused on pankrateon (well.. not so sure of this one, as all I know about it is what I could glean from your post), or another westernized martial art such as BJJ or JKD.

Another question that I'd have to ask would be about the format of the sparring that took place. Was it structured tournament-style, with no-contact zones, barring of locks and other assorted rules? I'd have to assume that, setting aside the possibility that your brother and cousin hate eachother for some reason, it wasn't no holds barred full contact. This would also favor your brother, as, unless your cousin was willing to seriously injure or maim your brother, he couldn't actually employ the full range of techniques typically taught in arts developed for street fighting (no groin shots, clawing of eyes, biting, etc).
thelenian is offline   Reply With Quote