View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
Xorith

Xorith is on a distinguished road
Greetings...

Those who know me know I don't like pay to play MUDs. Most don't offer the service they should for the price they ask for. Regardless, a Pay to Play MUD is usually run by a company or by someone who is out to make a profit or at the very least cover expenses.

Having once lost myself to EverQuest, I found myself in awe at the graphics, and completely livid at the type of idiots that populate the game.

So here's a situation. Myself and my Guild are in a game. We're all paying a happy $12.95/mo to play this game and we're happy. Then, we come across some jerk who is being completely annoying... Unfortunately the MUD Admins are smart and refuse to accept a player-captured log as evidence. (We all know just how easy logs are to forge...) This continues for a month and my friends and I have HAD it. We're quitting! We're not going to pay for a game that lets people like THAT get off scott-free! Well, the jerk makes a final stand... an invisible staff member happens to catch it, AND catch my friends and I announcing that we're leaving the game due to that jerk's behavior.

Let's do the math. 10 * 12.95 = 129.50. That's roughly $130/mo that the owners of the game will lose because my little guild and I are quitting for cleaner pastures. Now, we've been playing for a good 3 years now. There's no reason to not assume that we wouldn't have continued for another 3 years if this jerk didn't ruin our fun. There's possibly 36 months that we won't be paying into a game. 36 * 130 = $4,680... That's a bit of change. Not enough to sue over though, right?

Lets go deeper and say this person made more waves than I've said thus far. So we can track now that this person has caused MANY people to quit. That's a lot of money lost due to one person.

Is this person legally responsible for the lost profits a company must now endure? Sure, the company took action and removed the jerk from the game. The damage was done, though. Isn't there a civil law of some sort that'd allow the owners of the game/company to sue for those lost profits and financial 'damages'?

Just curious.

-- X
Xorith is offline   Reply With Quote