View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Pipboy

Pipboy is on a distinguished road
Re: born-again techie looking to MUD

Oh, I totally agree. In fact, this isn't even the first MUD I want to do. I have a much simpler MUD that I would do first (which I could build off a code base), and even before that I would experiment with some smaller single-player games (that I could turn into little mini-games for the cyberpunk MUD that I would eventually make).

I'm not even presumptuous enough to think that this MUD would be the first thing I make; this is just where I want to end up. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there.

I was wondering about this. Learning one programming language is no problem, but learning 5 seems pretty intimidating (especially since I've never even heard of two of them).

Yeah, I already did that. I'd get bored of medieval MUDs about a half-hour into it. Part of the problem is that everything seems like a clone of each other. The same 20+ races Itoo many in my opinion), the same kind of back story, the same skill sets....etc. What would be really cool is if I could find something contemporary and a little less "fantasy". Cyberpunk would be cool, too. But I just haven't found much of that out there.

On that note, what is the MUD player base like nowadays? With the MUDs I've played, I haven't exactly seen many, if any, other people playing at the same time. Is the scene pretty much dead except for a few dedicated hobbyists?

I don't think I know what any of those acronyms mean.

What do people have against C++ or Java?
Pipboy is offline   Reply With Quote