View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: pregancy & parenthood ic

I missed this thread the first go-round, so I am glad someone bumped it.

I have to say that Jazuela's above tirade rings extremely true to me. Whenever I have seen people RP pregnancy and childbirth, it always seemed to be more about "look at ME ME ME" than trying to create an interesting RP scenario. I am not saying it can't be done well (hard-coded or not), I am just saying that having observed it as both player and developer in 15-20 different games, I've never seen it done in a way that was interesting or that involved anything more than the "mommy" trying to hog the spotlight.

In general, I think pregnancy is a bad feature in games. Note that I said in general. I imagine there are certain types of games where it could actually be very well done and very awesome (especially games where it is designed from the beginning as a core feature, like The Sims).

I am not sure the actual childbirth process itself would hold any game value whatsoever. I wonder how many of the people getting offended by Jazuela's posts actually have children themselves, or have witnessed childbirth. I have two kids and I was right there for both childbirths. While miraculous and awesome, I can't see the process having any game value.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote