View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Richter

Name: Marc
Home MUD: Lusternia
Richter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Richter
I think there were a number of things that started it for me, anything from the Choose your own adventure books, to Myst, and then several fantasy authors. I was interested in other worlds, and wished that I could be a part of that. Myst particularly appealed to me, the idea that someone could create an entire world within one book (if anyone has read the novels, this concept is further developed and explained).

To be honest, I used to make fun of the kids who would sit in the computer lab in high school and type away at their text based games, but through a series of events, I realized that this was the kind of thing I'd wanted all along.

I think part of Brody's original question was how did we get interested in playing characters that differed from ourselves... I think it might be a dislike of my own flaws (as long as we're being honest here), it could be that I just like the distraction, or it might be that I always wanted to play a character that started on paper, but sprang to life in a world that could be very real. The stories I used to write are now possible, within a set of boundaries (the kind of game I'm playing). For me, that makes all the difference.
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote