View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
Flaws are usually great stuff. And I'm a big fan of doing things BADLY. That warrior who struggles to put their armor on and then clanks into things because they can't very well see through the narrow slit in their visor. Fun. That sneaky liar who happens to say the very wrong thing at the wrong time. Fun. Or even the more subtle flaws seem to add so much more depth to the character.

But lately. Well, maybe just today, I don't know. Me and my character actually wish we were, well, special. And I don't mean the handicapped kind.

I've been trying to play a plain girl forever, but it's really hard to write a desc that says PLAIN, without actually spelling it out. So with this attempt I did. Something along the lines of, 'This character is not particularly remarkable or memorable in any way. Her face consists of a mouth, a nose, and two eyes.' It's longer than that but you get the jist.

I had considered myself reasonably self-confident out of character, I'm quite pretty in RL, so why would I have trouble playing a plain girl? Oh, but how wrong I was. It actually made me cry tonight, out of character and I feel like the silliest girl for crying over a game. Over a character -I- made up. Mind you she isn't the typical wall flower. She doesn't blush, or dart her eyes away, she's more of the 'I'm invisible anyway, so who cares what I say or do' type.

But there I was sitting with some uber beautiful characters and, I can't quite pin it down, but it got to me. It got to me hard.

So, eh. I guess in conclusion, I understand why women especially rarely play anything other than gorgeous. Even with a healthy ego outside of the mud, it's just.... hard.. to be the outcast. I admire you guys and girls who play ugly. I really do.
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote