View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
Burr

Burr is on a distinguished road
The skeleton shouldn't have reacted to the bees in the first place. If the bees aren't harming or impeding the skeleton in any way, then they aren't really being "aggressive" towards it -- despite what the bees themselves might think. To the skeleton, they are probably just another part of the scenery.

The bees may well fight the skeleton so long and only so long as the skeleton's presence is actually provoking them -- i.e., causing a perceived harm or potential harm. If for instance, the skeleton is carrying their hive (perhaps to satisfy some necromancer's sweet tooth), then the jostling of the skeleton's steps, and hence of the hive, may well incite the bees to war for however long it takes for the jostling to stop and the skeleton to leave the immediate area of the hive. The war should not cease until that time. The necromancer should have either a spell or plenty of salve ready when the skeleton shows up at his door.

Balrog vs. Elemental. Why <i>shouldn't</i> their fight continue? Some player who hunts beings of fire may hear about this fight and see this as an opportunity for killing two birds with one stone. Or else the beings' masters may realize what a waste of their resources this fight is and attempt to end the fight themselves at some point. The only reason for the two beings' to end it themselves would be if one wins via an unexpected means (such as pushing other into a cold, deep river), or if following their masters' orders ceases to seem important to either one of them. In the latter case, at least one being would make an attempt to do whatever it would have done had the order been rescinded, and then react to the other being's next action, probably by fleeing at the next advantageous time to do so.

If a zombie and a wraith cannot affect each other in the slightest, then they shouldn't fight in the first place, excepting when they have not yet realized their inability to affect one another. Maybe they would instead scowl, or maybe insult one other if they have the intelligence to do so. But why fight if you can't hurt the other? And why flee if the other can't hurt you?

Maybe a quick feasibility study could be built into any action on the part of NPCs, as part of a cost vs. benefit analysis. I.e., how many times or how long would I have to perform this action to have a significant chance of success? What is this chance? How undesireable is the performance of each action. How desireable is the intended result?
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote