View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #47
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

Maybe I misunderstood what was being postulated.

I thought the possibility being discussed was doing a lot more than just a pretty cover. I mean, a web site with graphics is pretty much the analogue to a book cover, right? Then it is another step further to have a fully graphical character creation system. Then it is yet ANOTHER step further if one tries to make the newbie tutorial graphical as well.

My point is, there comes a time where in a text MUD you just have to own up to it being text. If you try to wow them with graphics too much, you're just wasting their time (and yours).

That is why I said there is a line somewhere that has to be drawn. The key if figuring out the balance between enticement and bait-and-switch.

Graphical web site is fine.

Graphical character creation is probably also fine, but starting to push it.

Graphics beyond that starts to edge into the bait-and-switch category, because now you are talking about actual gameplay that is not representative of the actual game.

Well, I admit I don't have the time or inclination to dig up the citations, but I've seen numerous games get absolutely savaged in reviews (print, internet, and tv) precisely because the trailer/intro movie were too outrageous in misrepresenting the game (in content, features, or graphical quality). Now reviews don't outright determine sales, but they do play a role in helping or hindering sales. From personal experience, I've played games whose graphics wouldn't have bothered me if not for the trickery of a trailer that grossly exaggerated the looks of the game.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote