View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Luthien

Home MUD: The Sea of Storms
Luthien is on a distinguished road
Cool

Some people have touched on it, though I'd like to lend my weight to one idea in particular:
You probably should stop playing a character when it's no longer fun to do so. I mean, the concerns about "Does it make sense storywise" or such are all well and good, but if you aren't enjoying playing the thing, then it's sort of a moot point. Why would you want to carry it through if every moment of that is just grinding annoyance?
Muds are games, games are supposed to be fun, that's why we play them, right? There are probably a lot of reasons why it might no longer be fun to play a character. My view may be a bit skewed given how things are setup on my own home mud (haven't found anything else that really satisfies me), but some examples are: You really are stuck in a rut when it comes to storyline, i.e. there really is nothing that exciting open to someone of your particular talents, experiences, etc. When you've maxed out the code side of things (ok, this applies more to places like tsos where there's a strong duality between code and rp, probably not to everywhere), and just can't really progress anymore; this really shouldn't necessarily be a limiting factor, but I've seen it pop up.

People tend to get attached to their characters (you spend enough time playing them, so I'd hope you do anyway), so the thought of retiring them, killing them off, simply stopping play...well it shouldn't be a decision that one takes lightly. Sometimes it's probably best to let others know you're kind of in a jam and see if they can help give you new ideas or new avenues of story to try out.
Luthien is offline   Reply With Quote