View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'll bite.

Theme is more of a concern when I am looking for a new mud. If I'm going to spend a week or so getting the feel for a game, then it needs to have a theme that captures my attention. That normally means well developed, but not to the point where you need an encylopedia to keep up with the in game/world events.

Once I'm actually playing a game, it is the interaction with the other people on the game that keeps my interest, both IC and OOC.

There are two types of theme changes that I've encountered. One that is a slight shift from the existing theme which can be roleplayed into the game and is just another part of developing the character. The other is an sudden end to one them (a historic/fantasy setting) to a completely different one (a space station). In that case, adpating the existing character wasn't an option - everyone started new.

In both cases players that tended to group/rp together tried to work together to make the change go easier.

I prefer RP heavy games to have some changes in the theme. War's end or start. Main NPCs move on. Injustices are righted. With the Players having some degree of influence (indirect) over the events.

For example: If the humans and the orcs are at war, and you have 5 times the number of orc players then it might be time to let the orcs win, enslave the humans and have them holed up in isolated areas in resistance to the orcs. Or there is no victor, only an uneasy peace with a move more to diplomacy than combat. Or the two races are forced to join together to deal with another problem - like invaders from mars with ray guns.

The alternative is a game that grows stagnant. I would much prefer change.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote