Thread: Varied Areas
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 01:57 AM   #11
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I've built a variety of zones. My favorite is called the Goth City. The name pretty much says it all, it plays on the modern goth culture. There's a variety of goths, from students and teachers to wannabes, business people, clubs, etc etc. When stuck on an area idea I build on that.

Asdie from cities there's a lot of things. One area idea I don't see a lot of, and have yet to see a good one of, is a circus or fair idea. I've seen a couple that are okay, but I think with a bunch of progs or scripts, you could make a killer area.

Other area idea could be a set of ruins, you could place it anywhere, in desert, forest, tundra, at the bottom of the ocean, or anywhere else.

How about a settlement of jumberjacks, or a series of mountains that are home to a group of bandits that attack anyone travelling across them? Or what if you stumbled across a forest or desert that was inhabited by strange creatures you'd never seen elsewhere? how would you explain how they got there, and why they couldn't get out?

You could do an area that's a cult of people who worship one particular thing. It could be funny, like oranges or bill gates, or maybe they're a leftover cult of a god that's long since been forgotten. You could have a city hidden deep in a series of tunnels, maybe long forgotten by the outside world. How would they react to strangers, and what kind of affects happen after 10 generations of no contact with the outside world?

I've also seen houses and mansions, gardens, graveyards and deserted towns.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote