View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
Vopisk

Vopisk is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

So let's see, where to begin my first post...

I've recently begun studying C++ and taking peeks at other languages and stuff doing my best to teach myself with what's available on the web because I'd like to do MUD coding somewhere down the road, I've downloaded a few codebases to look over as examples while I'm learning so I can understand the basic structure and what have you. Anyway, I've heard a lot of noise about the various types of storage and what not and I figured I'd pose the questions I'm having here to see if I can get some answers.

I understand the different SQLs because pretty much every language page has tutorials in regards to them, but I've also heard talk of using flatfiles for storage and don't really understand what they are, how they work and more specifically how they work in a MUD environment. If anyone can do me the favor of explaining a bit or pointing to a tutorial or the like somewhere I'd appreciate it.

Also, in addition to a clarification of how flatfiles work, if someone could give a (hopefully) un-biased break down of the strengths and weaknesses of any sort of data-storing system, it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, without further ado, the end of the post!
Vopisk
Vopisk is offline   Reply With Quote