View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Voidrider

Voidrider is on a distinguished road
Re: How to start making my very own MUD?

I would probably go to mudbytes.com first and download a base lp source code from there, load it and make sure it compiles, then really check it out both in-game and from an unarchived copy on your computer. Read through it and make sure you can understand what you have and get an idea of what files have what in them.

THEN, if you're happy with lp, grab a snippet from somewhere (one that doesn't look crazy hard to add) and make an effort to add it to the code and recompile it.

Long-term plans are wonderful and all (like adding a "bunch" of code that another imp/admin is offering) but if you get all wrapped up in the code aspects of the mud, you can easily lose sight of the building and world direction/creation. I am sure that this simple fact is why many people have staffs on their mud and don't normally have a masochistic stripe. Seriously, coding without a background in coding can drive you into fits and building can be very time-consuming. Mix them together and keyboards and mice can become a little "damaged," to say the least.

I like to sit down, make a long-term PLAN, pick a codebase out that can best serve that plan, try to add some things to better manifest that plan, make sure it all compiles and runs, then create the world I have planned. Then test it all as it comes to life, preferrably before advertising the game anywhere.

I would also suggest downloading some other popular codebases and just checking out their files, too. You may find something you like better, you never know.

My other piece of advice would be to *always* get up and take breaks and leave the mud stuff alone, especially if you feel like you are working a second job or becoming frustrated. You might be surprised at how clear a problem looks with fresh eyes later. Remember, it is a hobby and it supposed to be fun!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote