DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

I'm not sure what Lasher's exact reasoning for the current rules are, but I am glad that rewarding players for voting is off of the table.

Many game owners would see this as a breach of ethics; therefor, the games that would benefit the most from "reward votes" would be the games that are more likely to live in the more grey ethical area. Since many of the games that would be likely to benefit from this change are already some of the most popular MUDs, this would lead to an increasing top-heavy competition for voting rank. In turn, this means that traffic to the site looking for a new game to play would be more likely to play an already popular game that would be benefiting from what smaller game owners might see as a questionable reward system that they would not want to personally implement.

I know that as a game owner, I would definitely not want any sort of OOC reward that could affect in-game progress; this is why I have never used a pay-for-perks model. Likewise, I am a fan of encouraging players to vote and support their community and game, but I believe that they should do so based on the merits of the game and not to earn rewards.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote