View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for RP home.

Jazuela,

I think you're being overly harsh in your assessment.

1) I've seen many other cases where "RP" meant "some place where rules are enforced, the admin isn't anarchy, and the world is at least somewhat coherent", and other cases whre RP was a strong preference, but could be overpowered by other considerations. Given that we have all of his other requirements, there was a legitimate chance he could be interested.

2) The exact wording was:
I totally agree with him on pay schemes that leave everyone out, and I've tried really hard to integrate things that aren't required, that are conveniences and don't directly unbalance the game. I play all my characters, on my own game, without perks, and I can say with confidence that you can never pay a dime and do perfectly well. This seems well within his scope.

(As a side note, your equipment example doesn't make sense; if you already have a high level and a low level character, just keep the appropriate equipment on them. If you want to trade from high to low, just do it, or have the low hold equipment for the high, or even make a dedicated storage character to hold overflow, or just toss the extras in a tensor. You hardly need to invoke a special perk for any of this.)

3) Again, the specific wording:

I'm not a fan of exp grinding either, but new players understand it and it makes sense to them, so there's a lot of opportunity for it at low levels. There's also a lot fewer available skills and things to do at low levels, so it makes sense that a higher proportion would be death experience.

But those lower levels come and go quickly, and I rarely if ever have a sense of actually grinding in them. Our goal is to get new players into the storyline, get them some levels, some skills, and some playing experience so they can handle themselves, then turn them loose. Some players continue to grind after that, some don't. It's hardly required.

Here's our current 2-month global exp stats for mob grinding:

( 5.27%) damage
( 36.70%) death

Add in incidental experience from participating, and maybe half of the total experience on the server comes directly from making things dead. That's a lot of room to allow for non-grind behaviour.

To the original poster, if I've overstepped or misunderstood here, I apologize. Good luck in your search.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote