View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #124
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

I think that it's more likely that the project would face extreme difficulty due to warring admins (much like Wikipedia's editors) than players being biased to the MUDs they play. I know that I recently refused to be a part of a project that would have probably benefited our MUD financially because I was really wary of the person who was spearheading the project. The guy doesn't even have his own mud, just a reputation. Let me say, also, that this incident has been a learning experience for me as well, and I doubt I would have refused to be a part of that project after having gone through this. It makes me review my opinion of the guy that I once had pretty good discussions with, and we fell out when both our tempers started to fray on a subject we ultimately agree on.

In the end, though, this incident actually gives me a lot of hope that a project, if run correctly, divorced from having ties to any one particular mud, and done with the intent of providing an academic site (thus, not really treading on TMS or TMC's toes), can succeed. There were people involved in the KEEP side of the AfD that I'm pretty sure strongly dislike the lead developer and owner of Threshold and wouldn't pee on the mud's server if it was on fire to put it out, yet they put aside personal dislikes to participate in the issue. (This is not to say that the people who didn't participate in the AfD couldn't see through their dislikes. I understand that people have very different ideas about what should be on Wikipedia.) So if a serious historical project was created that needed very little help from mud admins for maintaining it, I think it could very well succeed despite all the strong personalities in the community.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote