View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Preferred inventory type

So do I, but not in the same way as you. Each item has an "encumbrance" value, which is an abstract representation of both weight and awkwardness - for example, while a steel longsword would have a higher encumbrance than a bone longsword (representing the extra weight of steel compared to bone), the encumbrance would be lowered again if the player had the Straight Sword Mastery talent (representing a familiarity with wielding the longsword, or wearing it sheathed).

However the encumbrance only applies to worn and held equipment. Your inventory represents an aspect of your home plane, a pocket dimension so to speak, and is restricted only by number of items - i.e., there's a fixed number of inventory slots.

Because I don't generally allow players to wear or remove items during combat, their choice of worn equipment is pretty important. I often have to break newbies out of the "more equipment is better" mindset, as its not unusual for new players to load up with as much armour as they can physically wear, and then get frustrated when they can barely move.

Nice - I've also put some work into generating , but I must say I've found it pretty difficult to keep them down to a managable size (even without showing inventory).

I do something similar. Each item covers one or more locations and one or more layers. A basic helmet covers the head on layer 4, but so does a hat, so you can't wear both. However a chainmail coif covers the head and neck on layer 3, so you could wear it under your helmet. You could also replace your regular helmet with a full helm, which is also layer 4, but covers the head, face and neck - however that would prevent you from wearing a mask, which covers the face on layer 4. You could also wear a hooded cloak over your full helm, and raise the visor, and people looking at you wouldn't even realise you were wearing a helm.

It also means I don't need to have "platemail armour" as such, but rather players can create the same effect by wearing a breastplate, bracers, greaves, etc, over the top of chainmail, and then wear padded clothing underneath.

However I understood the term "slot" in this case to refer to a literal number of items - like graphical games, where you can drag and drop an equipment icon into a specific slot. My approach to worn equipment wouldn't really fit with such a system, as an item can simultaneously cover multiple slots, and multiple items can fit into one slot.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote