Thread: Diku license
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 04:45 AM   #21
Hephos

Home MUD: www.sharune.com
Hephos is on a distinguished road
Well IMO I believe most people (and MUDs, no matter if they are free or commercial) would benifit from a more lightened view of the DIKU licence regarding donations and accepting money. Personally I (we, Mythicscape) would benifit from it in a commercial aspect (aiming for a non-diku commercial game) in such a way that if smaller games started enforcing payments we would have a larger possible customer base.

Commercial games: If hobby muds and smaller games, especially those that is not as well developed as the commercial games (that can spend lots of money developing the games) would start to accept donations or even "force" people to pay2play it would benifit the larger  games. Players would then rather pay for a well developed game than a hobby game that enforces pay2play and hence the larger commercial games would get more customers.

Hobby games: Some of the games (not owned by rich admin kids) would greatly benifit from being able to accept donations for server upkeep costs and other monetary aspects such as for example banner advertisement campaigns. Being able to actually give something back (in-game) to the players that donate would greatly help out these games.

I cannot see anything "bad" with a lightened view of the diku licence regarding monetary donations and in-game rewards for anyone involved... In fact if someone contacted the licence holders and had them to lighten the licence it would benifit the mud community as a whole imo.

Ironically, the only ones I can see would NOT benifit from a more open licence to donations and in-game rewards are the muds currently already doing this (ie aardwolf, medievia to name a few). Atm they get money off their playerbases which they can use for gaining new players (advertisement) and keeping the game stable and running on good networks (expensive hosts). If other muds could do the same, the competition to them would increase.
Hephos is offline   Reply With Quote