Thread: Pretty Folks
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002, 03:37 PM   #4
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
I admit it... I'm guilty of playing "pretty" characters. I have only played humans, elves, half-elves, and faeries - none of those "ugly" races. And most of my characters seem to be decidedly attractive. Some are more plain than others, and a few don't really care about their appearance, but the majority of them are your typical flawless beauty...

Only a couple actually mention something about their suprisingly good looks in their description though. The rest, like Sapphar said, may not depict a particularly beautiful person in their descriptions, yet it is assumed to be so. Perhaps people just expect the goblins, ogres, trolls, etc. to be ugly, and the "prettier" races to be attractive, unless you specifically indicate otherwise in your description.

I also think that the whole element of "fantasy" may play a part in it. Why play an ugly or plain character when you can choose to look however you wish? And I am sure that there were commoners who were very attractive, yet when the majority of them are that way, you're right, it can seem a little odd. I tend to not really notice it in character, as it seems to be the standard, so my character wouldn't really be able to distinguish a "beautiful" character as being any different than the other people around them.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote