View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #9
Alastair

Alastair is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alastair
There's often another problem with attempted RP breaking the stereotypes: often, those are the work of novices who don't do it right.

This reminds me of one of the early "unfair!" yells after the launch of Dark Age of Camelot, where one guy complained that one imm had forced him to change the name of his troll character he had named Fluffy.

On a message board, he made up an quite convincing backstory of how "Fluffy" had been brought up as your standard stereotypical bloodthirsty brainless troll, but that at some point an encounter with a dwarven priest had suddenly made him amend his ways and become so much of a peacenick that he would henceforth be called "Fluffy".
The beginning of his char history read like this:

As a young troll, I was called Terrorling by my family. Raised in an atmosphere of anger and hatred, I knew nothing but pure loathing for my foes. I fought and killed, I bathed in the blood of my enemies, and my hatred dominated my entire outlook.

Aside from the initial fault, IMO, that none of the above was actually ever RPed by the character, I believe it had another fatal flaw, one which I can only attribute to lack of experience.

If it was really a troll telling this story, it would probably have sounded like this:
"Me young, me name Grakh. Me hit nasty, hur, hur, and me have great fun then."

Breaking out of stereotypes is all fine and dandy, but only when it's done right.
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote