View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
Iluvatar

Iluvatar is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with Kasta that it's a double edged sword issue and bites both ways if swung. Mu*s should be about options and choices that a player takes to create or develop their own unique personality, not about number crunching to be the best.

We find hiding the formulas is the best policy because it challenges even the most talented techno-mudding power leveler to figure it out, and when they do we might change it with impunity. Maximum flexibility is a good rule in all things I think and leads to fewer whines when change is predictable. If I disclosed how good or bad a race or class was in comparison to others, few would ever choose the 'challenged' race or class because of human nature wanting to be the best in a competitive world. I actually tease some and toss monkey wrenches into their hard earned formulas just to mess with a few heads.

Keep your inner workings a secret, let the curious test and re-test, let the lesser mortals work out their own shortcomings. Either way, they have 'fun,' you earn their presence in your world and it's a win/win situation.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote