View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #28
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Games as service

You are definately right about the casual gamers and instant gratification. I think that Xbox, gameboy, and other such $50.00 games have been changed into simpler games for one huge reason: Profit. If it takes you 6 months to win a game will you buy another tomorrow? No. So, they let the kids win in a few days, a week on the outside and guess where the kid is next week? At the game shop buying another game.

Even so, since NW isn't in the market to satisfy these kids, but rather finding the players looking for what you described as, "..exciting and fulfilling in terms of completing something difficult.", I'm not so much concerned about that market trend, though I probably should be.

I can't argue with you at all though about the direction of games making a player "feel awesome and powerful". I logged onto a few games and was baffled at the stats of players: Level- 45,296, Wealth-25,592,092,092. You kill the rock troll and earn 25 million xp (ROFL). LEVELS into the 10's of thousands, and coins into the billions? Reminds me of what happened to pinball machines, they started out with winning a free game at 2,000 points and now are a 2 Billion points to win a free game. You have to laugh at that.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote