Thread: Equipment Saves
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 09:27 PM   #5
Maia

Maia is on a distinguished road
For the longest time, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole any MUD that didn't save equipment at logout.  I do find disappearing equipment unrealistic; even if you equate logging out with going to sleep (and not all MUDs use this paradigm), why should the leather jerkin I was wearing when I fell asleep not still be there when I awake?  And besides, it's just plain annoying.

That said, I have seen a "rent" MUD that puts the lack of saving to good use, and which has made me rethink my stance (somewhat).

On , your character drop most of his or her equipment when you quit.  DartMUD is one that equates logging out with "going to sleep", and you don't drop your clothes (or some other personal items).  I guess the case could be made that the items your character does drop are the ones they would remove before retiring to bed (although personally, I wouldn't remove my trusty leather jerkin if I was camping out in wolf-infested woods).  

The equipment, however, doesn't vanish into the aether.  If you quit somewhere far from the madding crowds, it's possible that it might still be there when you awake.  But if you want more of a guarantee*, you can hire a room at an inn, rent a cottage, or swear feality to a landed Baron, who'll provide you with (amongst other things) free board.

And herein lies the beauty of the scheme.  Because you must return to your abode when you wish to "sleep", these places tend to become foci of character interaction.  Want to find a friend?  Chances are reasonable that they may be at "home", where they are storing their equipment, so you can go around and pay them a visit, just as you might do IRL.  This beautifully provides a way for characters to find each other without having to resort to (not always believable) tells or global channels.

Another up side is that the attainment of a place of residence is quite an achievement, and as I've stated elsewhere, I like to be provided with goals by my gameworlds.

Food for thought.

Maia

* Not an absolute guarantee.  You are still at risk of filfy feeves, but that in itself is quite elegantly implemented in DartMUD.
Maia is offline   Reply With Quote