View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
Chayesh

Chayesh is on a distinguished road
That's very true. I know for a fact, because some players have said this, that they stay because they "know the lay of the land", how combat works, what their powers are, where things are like equipment, potions, etc. When we introduce new areas or replace old/stock ones, we do it piecemeal, one area at a time. I would bet that a portion of your MIA playerbase is playing a MUD with a similar codebase as your MUD that hasn't been as customized as yours.

Also, you have to listen to how you're being interpreted by your playerbase. Too often disgruntled players, and unfortunately IMMs also, can foster what I call the US vs. THEM syndrome. "The IMMs are out to get us" "The players are all cheaters" are just a couple of the ways things get out of hand quickly. But if you handle it the right way, which I like to think for the most part our staff has, you can retain your solid players through many trials and tribulations. For example, the current staff of Aabahran is the third administration in its 5 year life. Certain IMMs were always present but the main creators of the world are now gone. Due to this, we have lost players. During the first few years of our life, we had 50-60 online at any given time. Now the average is lower. It is improving from the last administration though, and we look for even better things to come. And if the players have any complaints now, many will say it's not our staff.

I'm not saying you and your staff caused the drop off directly, but I think, at least in some small way, the drastic changes, perhaps unwanted by the players, were seen as something negative. You probably have a really tight MUD now. Advertise the heck out of it and you might find yourself knee deep in quality players very soon.
Chayesh is offline   Reply With Quote