View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #54
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

I buy into that Penny Arcade comic in the article. You're assuming a level of humanity that just doesn't exist in many people. We will never, ever completely be rid of bigotry, just like we will never, ever completely be rid of idiots (if anything, we're on the Idiocracy path, and things are getting worse).

I've long since given up trying to fix people, and am comfortable just letting others be wrong and stupid. That's their right, and it's my right not to bother with them. The correct solution to this problem is what's being done already: if a game's not fun enough to ignore or tolerate the presence of idiots, quit patronizing those games that are full of idiots. A strong second would be to just ignore them. When an idiot spouts off about faggots this and that and how gay something is, and all he gets in return is silence, or at best, equally idiotic people commenting back with incomprehensible gibberish, that's a far better and more effective alternative than trying to incite some sort of public outcry, in the hopes that a group of complainers, and maybe a petition or two, will convince a server admin to start policing the banter on an MMO.

Why do people want to fit in among the least common denominator of illiterate internet users anyway? I'm straight and don't want to fit in with them. I'd be downright offended if any of them accepted or liked me. I would think there's something wrong with me.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote