View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #28
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: MUD Players' Bill of Rights

Well. I suppose we simply have different ideas of what a MUD is about. Maybe it boils down to the difference between large semi-MMPROG MUDs and small online inde muds, albeit long standing ones. I dont know.

Lets get back to what was said earlier-

Jazuela said- "These games aren't owned collectively by the playerbase, it isn't a democracy, and in fact some of these games are owned by people who don't even live in a democratic country".

In my view, MUDS are an online community which a group of volunteers prepare for the enjoyment of others. While the "staff" contributes code and area design, the players contribute their time and effort to build a community. The social climate of the MUD and (if applicable) RP is what makes the game for me in the end. When it comes down to it for me, all the fancy bells and whistles that a game has, would fail without a loyal and steady playerbase. In that sense, ANY successful community is collectively created and owned. This is especially so in a RP mud where the story of the game evolves through player contributions.

Yes, its no MUD is a complete democracy- I think years ago Bartle experimented with a truly democratic system and it got bogged down in the mechanics of getting everyone's opinions in in a timely manner. However, a consultative, fair and transparent system SHOULD by definition lead to a closer knit community. Of course, you are free to disagree.

The last para of the original notes seems to suggest that the only contribution that counts is the financial contribution involved in paying the server fees and associated MUD cash expenses. I had started playing the game I am admin over a decade ago. I was eventually hired to be a builder. Then I started handing the new player related issues and rewriting all the helpfiles. Then I became head of RP. Then I got bumped up to Imp/Admin. I am also now handing the game's webforum. In this ENTIRE time of being a staff member for a decade, I haven't spent a single penny directly to the game. However, I have spent 1000s of hours improving every aspect of the MUD. I would personally take deep offense to any suggestion that all that would not matter _at all_ compared to who pays the server.

You may argue that my case is atypical since I am obviously not just a player any more. However, the same goes for the players. There are people who spent over a decade playing here. They help new players. They develop fansites. They keep the forum updated. They keep the clans run smoothly. They report bugs and typos in text. They contribute some of the best ideas for the game. Eventually they are the ones who are hired as staff like I was. Saying that their opinion is totally irrelevant goes against my sense of what an online community is.

Last edited by Kleothera : 08-19-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote