View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Roleplay: Up for Reward?

I hear this a lot and would point out the following: most serious, hardcore roleplayers like a logical, somewhat realistic game. The logical, realistic reward of talking in character with other characters is to gain allies, friends, influence, recognition, social standing, and various other "rewards." You don't go up a level, become more durable, stronger, and better with swords and magic by hanging around in a bar talking in character with people. Those rewards don't fit the activity done to gain them.

"I wanna hang out and RP all day" often doesn't mesh well with "I want a stronger character with powerful weapon skills," because to get better and get those powerful sword skills, the logical thing you need to do is practice with your sword, not RP all day.

"Serious" roleplayers, however, seem to have some kind of issue with roleplaying some of the time, and going out swordfighting the rest of the time. It's not a good mud in their eyes if they have to kill stuff and can't just chat in character all day. They want to sit around roleplaying all day, but still end up with a character that's good with swords, even though from a realistic, RP standpoint, what their character should really be improving at is talking, drinking, and socializing. I'm pretty serious about RP myself, but hesitant about mud systems where I actually get a stronger character for doing it.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote