View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
ruckus

Home MUD: retromud.org:3000
ruckus is on a distinguished road
Re: What makes the perfect _Necromancer_?

Thanks for the intersting and constructive replies so far. It's insightful to hear what thoughts are conjured up by the name necromancer in relation to a playable class.

I understood what KaVir had in mind here. It's exactly what I am looking for, also. A necromancer class will need to have a few of the modern stereotypes so that it gives us what we'd expect to see. But too often it's left at that and the Necromancer class ends up far from well-rounded.

I also agree that they don't need to be evil. I'd consider the act of re-animating something that shifts toward evil as it is morally objectionable in most circles. But I'd like to see other options available to the necromancer, perhaps even go as far as being able to be a productive necromancer who doesn't do animation at all. But that means they must have some other pursuits and I think we've started down the road of defining those.

So they have an interest in the spirits of those already dead. What about their knowledge of the body and its functions? Would you put them on par with a healer, perhaps a healer that made it half way through school and dropped out to start messing with stuff? Or do you consider the two schools (healing and necromancy) too unrelated to have intersected at all?
ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote