View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #88
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
The rule is defined by the creator of the code and distributor and co-writer of the license, as follows:

Now, prior to August 2000, anyone who didn't know of Staerfeldt's intent, might have gotten away with breaking the intent, because it hadn't been discussed until then (to my knowledge). But this information has been around for over three years, and anyone who is currently offering in-game services for out-of-game money is breaking the license. I don't know about other countries, but in the USA, "ignorance of the law" is not an excusable justification for violating it. It is the game-creator's responsibility to find out what the intent is, prior to even thinking about teetering on any line within it.

The intent has been made clear, as of August and September 2000 (respectively), and Aardwolf should stop offering in-game rewards -of any sort- for out of game money, whether they want to call it a donation or a "thank you present" or a corned beef sandwich. The fact that they've only been giving in-game benefits as of a relatively recent timeframe indicates to me, that they probably knew it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

You can't justify it by saying "well it isn't much" or "anyone can get this benefit by just playing," because it doesn't matter. The point, is that if anyone can get it by just playing, then anyone SHOULD get it by just playing, without the added option of paying cash. That option - the option of paying cash to receive in-game ANYTHING - even if it's just a one-time hair color change for your character, is against the rules, as defined by the person who wrote the rules.