View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #42
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
To be fair, your not one of the type that I am talking about. Unlike most people, I tend to play a bit like I am in RL, for the most part. I tend to be introverted and a loner. I am not someone likely to walk up to the local clan chief and ask for a job, I am not going to seek out parties, etc. I might run a shop, if such a role was available and it meant more than just pretending that I was selling something, etc. Then again, I might not. I am the guy that is quite competent at getting the job done, when I have one, but not gung ho about finding them. The one that sit in a corner and watches other people make a fool out them themselves, not the one that drinks too much and ends up picking a fight with the large orc in the other corner or dances on the tables.

Now, I 'might' eventually, if anyone bothered to find out, get a reputation for consistent work and skill, but I might never even get to a point where I could play that role, if 90% of my time was spent dealing with people and admin that insisted I didn't 'act' enough or 'play the part' properly, i.e. I don't seek out attention and feed the system like everyone else.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, when I have been more extroverted, I feel that RP in which emoting, "Kagehi sneeks along the streets dropping sticks.", is a both a cheat and a unsatisfying if there is no mechanism to make those harmless objects erupt into illusions, to instill the proper chaos on the city when triggered. Everyone else has to agree to play be 'my' rules in such a case and the one time I tried I got two people willing to play along and wonder just what sort of mischief I was involved in and 2-3 that refused to play by the implied rules, but instead screwed up the entire thing. Now, this might have just been the inexperience (great laugh, given I have almost 0) of the people involved, but it left me backed into a corner, with the only people satisfied being the jerks that thought messing up the story line was fun. I haven't tried since and I have seen maybe 1-2 other instances of someone using the RP channel on the mud I play at to even try to revive the whole RP society concept.

Would a moderator of some sort have helped? Probably. Better rules? Maybe. Some sort of real mechanism to provide for RP, instead of just having to fake everything? Definitely. Instead the RP society for all practical purposes has died of starvation. I can't do it alone and half the people in it have even less a clue than I do how to limit their own ambitions for the good of the whole. So.. I went back to being the guy that spends time killing stuff, mostly doesn't interact with anyone and no one really knows. It doesn't hurt me to be that way on a mud and having to make everything up myself just irritates me too much to bother with systems where 90% of everything 'is' based on that.

But the point is, your style of play 'can' have an effect, not only on your own play, but other people's play and how you are seen. Some ways of doing it are disruptive, some perhaps too subtle to get credit for. I don't think I could sustain an outwardly extrovert type style, in fact, I am fairly sure I can't. And I doubt that a quite style would actually get me any place. Maybe I am wrong.

Of course, a bigger factor is if there is even any races I even want to play on a game. I haven't seen a lot I find all that interesting and the ones I do like on the surface, some twit mangles in the specifics. lol
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote