View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
My main goal is to keep the system simple yet believable - it's not intended to become a main focus of the game.

Providing mob factions would be a good idea, but I don't think it could be combined so well with mob type. Two swarms of ants would be of the same mob type, but (unless they came from the same nest) they'd most likely attack each other on sight. Equally, two completely unrelated mob types might reasonably form an alliance of sorts, effectively joining the same faction.

One possibility I've been toying with is the idea of creature 'templates' (a bit like in D&D). These could be things such as 'undead', 'swarm', 'ethereal', etc, and any mob could inherit one or more such templates. A swarm of bees could thus be transformed into a swarm of ghost bees, while a reanimated goblin could simply be given the appropriate extra template (instead of being converted into a zombie).

This would fit quite well into the deadlock system, as each template could be responsible for handling immunities, and also for determining how the creature should respond to other creatures. It might get a bit tricky with multiple templates though...

Unsure, but probably not, particularly as I'm not planning to have builders. But that's a story for another thread...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote