View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for builders, or building tips

So a square continent would be over 5,000 rooms?! I didn't realize quite how much work this would be getting into it, I think. But the best thing to do is probably just to get started.

The proportions seem fairly accurate, I shall use them approximately. I don't think I'll give any time limit to walking around; my server is slow enough as it is I'm hoping players will leave room descriptions on - the meat of the game will be in them - but I guess that's in my nature as an IF player. I'm trying to avoid grinding which means in general, players will only wander around the desert when they actually have somewhere to go and something to do.

Camlorn:

I find you to be a very useful tool to impart information to the player, and have trouble writing without it. I'll try to avoid it, but it is hard...

I won't be having filler in the sense I've heard it described here, some room descriptions will obviously have to be unoriginal but everything will (hopefully!) be a room. That way it'd be easy, in a moment of boredom, to turn that "A deserted wasteland." Room into something interesting. So the world size will be directly dependent on how many rooms I decide to create.

I don't think I'll go with an ASCII map; those in MUDs have always annoyed me. In a roguelike I appreciate it but it just doesn't make sense to me in a MUD.

Yeah, I'll probably have train stations or such like that allow you to go through rooms much, much faster.

I'm trying to add as many aliases as possible to the MUD, I'll also see if I can implement something that checks plural versions of the keyword, and that sort of thing. I don't have any genius solution to it yet, though. I'm working on it!

Thank you both for all your help so far, by the way! It is much appreciated!
CaptainLepidus is offline   Reply With Quote