View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
Dulan

Dulan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Dulan
I normally keep out of these discussions. Unless outright false information has been posted.

This is wrong. Outright wrong. Let's assume an average of 6 characers per player name. * 1,000. That is 6k - 12k if you decide to store the player name and the given player name. An average-size pfile on most derivitives is around 20-30k. Learn some basic math before you make those sorts of comments. The additional pfile space is NOTHING for a MUD with "hundreds of thousands of players".

Another uninformed and incorrect statement. It is exceedingly easy to add new variables to pfiles in most commonly-used languages for MUDs (Most, not all.) All the programmer has to do is have the initial variable for, say, hair not have a '0' value at all. Then, if the player has a '0' value, have them go through character generation.

The rest of your post is full of similar holes, but I've got to meet some people to fix some issues in source code, thus, I'm out. I'll let someone else pick apart the rest of your statements.

-D
Dulan is offline   Reply With Quote