View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 03:00 AM   #66
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
A word of caution, Tyche:
Irony is usually a dangerous weapon, because there will always be some people around who do not detect the irony, and consequently will take everything you say literally. Also there are some subjects that are just too sensitive to make fun of. Cancer-sick Children is one of those. Starving people in Africa is another. I’m afraid that your posts will offend a lot of folks, and probably not the ones you were targeting in the first place either.

This is not meant as a flame, however. I do get the point that you are trying to convey, and I also agree with most of it. People crowing about their charity on Discussion boards, while at the same time counting new hits on their webpages, do turn me off a bit too. I do not particularly cherish people goading others to go and do the same either.

Sure it’s a good thing that some of the money for the publicity goes to some deserving purpose. Still, as Tyche already pointed out, most of us give to some kind of charity. But most of us like to choose what kind of charity we give to on our own. And most of us do not brandish our ‘unselfishness’ publicly on Discussion boards. Doing so actually reminds me a bit of that old story about Jesus Christ and the Pharisees.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote