View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are multiple ways of joining the ranks of the staff of games-

1. Apply for posts advertised on places like mudmagic, mudconnector and topmudsites etc. However, you have absolutely NO way of knowing what the game is like before you commit real time to it. Also majority of new muds that sound absolutely great crash and burn in no time therefore there is a real risk of you wasting your time.

2. Join in with a group of people you know who set up a new mud. Again, in these really competetitive times there is absolutely NO guarantee that the game would succeed.

3. And what I would recommend and what I have done myself, find yourself a mud you like. Play it for a few months. Get a feel of the place and understand the game mechanics of the world. Then if you feel that you fit within the general climate and would be able to stick around for good, and ONLY then, apply to be a member of the staff. It would be recommended to see that its an established (running for a long time) and highly rated mud (preferably on a majority of mud rating boards) so as to make sure that the game isnt going to disappear on you in a few months along with the hours you put into it (writing, interacting with players, RPing , enforcing rules etc). Of course if it IS a highly rated mud, you would find that joining the staff would be more difficult.

Which brings us to the next question, WHY do you want to be a member of the staff in the first place? Is it because its cool? Is it because you want to contribute to the community (there are often less time consuming ways of giving back to the mud- there are mentors, gamemasters and other mortal positions in many games). Also what skills DO you bring to your imm position- do you write well, are creative and are extremely patient (perhaps be a builder) how good are you dealing with irritating players who break rules (enforcer of rules)? How good are your RP skills? (RP Imm) etc.

What I am basically saying is, becoming a member of a mud's staff isnt something that you do lightly and (most of the time) isnt even fun. Think twice before you apply. And if you do, make sure its the right one for you.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote