View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #77
Aermyn

Name: Eric
Home MUD: Savage Realm
Home MUD: Http://savagerealm.forumotion.com/
Aermyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Aermyn
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

Atonement is very cool, and I enjoy the atmosphere there, it accomplishes the dark, creepy feeling that it is supposed to and the RP environment is very nice. But that is neither here nor there.

In reguards to the original post, and to explain a few things from my side of the RPE v RPI spectrum as pertaining to permadeath. I think that there is resurrected death, like in my mud, it tends to make higher end world changing rp, vs permadeath. Permadeath has a tendency to kill off high end complex role-play, unless you just manage to live long enough to do a lot of things. Whereas with resurrection you have a chance to keep going with a storyline, and put a whole lot more emphasis on your character and try to get those larger than life storylines that exist in legends. It also allows the person to be able to choose when to die and can roleplay it that way and prepare for it. In our mud, and others like it that I have played, age is also a factor. If your character hits the 'average max age for that race' then you will be old and die off.

Course', I am just speaking from experience, I know if I played a perma-death mud, well other than Atonement, I would not put a whole lot of thought into my storyline as I know the character will likely die off for some reason. It is not really a good thing when you see the 'best' role-play from a player that is about to die, it should be great role-play all the time.

I also put a lot of effort into characters I play, I want a backstory, personality, in-depth description, everything to make the character as real as possible, if I had perma-death then there would not be as much motivation to do so. I know I would be annoyed if I put in a ton of time to create a character just to be killed off in a month.

But this is just my opinion, ultimately it is about what MUDs you 'grew up playing' versus what other people enjoy.
Aermyn is offline   Reply With Quote