View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
I disagree that Gemstone "isn't tha much different then Medievia".

As a person that played the game for over a decade and helped (through numerous forum posts and testing) to develop many systems I have to say that it is worlds apart from most MUDs. I have also played Medievia, though for not as long.

Simutronic's "Gemstone" uses a decent timed non-auto combat system. They do not advertise themselves as free, and never have. The code is original, save for some hold-overs from the ICE time. They employ a decently large staff of developers and customer service personnel that regularly crank out additions to both the classes and world.

Empaths (healers) gain experience through healing, as does anyone that takes up lockpicking. Once a mage can enchant (level 25) they can actually level through enchanting items. Rangers can gain experience through foraging terrain-specific (and even seasonal and time-specific) plants. Clerics can gain experience through raising dead PC's. They also have a non-combat experience system in the works, last I heard.

I am not here to tout Gemstone ( I no longer play it), just pointing out that as far as pay-MUDs that I have played over the years I found Gemstone, and one of Simutronic's other products "DragonRealms", to be the top of the heap (in my opinion).

Not knocking Medievia, as I am sure from previous posts that there will be plenty of people that will do that. Just pointing out that there are large differences between it and Gemstone.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote