View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
koteko

koteko is on a distinguished road
Re: A huge grid world

uhm, thank you very much for the clarification than.

Seeing the forum post you linked me before, I understood you consider a tile a square of 100 rooms, while on my mud one tile is one room. Your approach is interesting, as you can define a set of terrains and build your world with them without incurring in the overhead (and also difficulty) of deciding the little tile cell by cell. Is like you are "drawing" with a 10x pen (with smart choice of "traits") and I with a 1x pen. The effect might be roughly the same but you are going to sweat 10 times less..

So with a roomless world, you design the world grid-style putting the terrains you want, while the players will move on graph of points which will overlap with the tile grid (like 100 points for each tile). That's pretty smart.

So a real room would be an area of space where you have 4 walls, a floor, a roof and a door (normally). Do you use bounding boxes for entities, so you can calcolate collisions and space occupied?

I'll think it over, in the meanwhile I'll try out your godwars2 when I find the time
koteko is offline   Reply With Quote