View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: RP systems for non RP muds

Don't get me wrong, there are settings where combat-related RP is perfectly viable and can result in a good theme. The problem I'm addressing is not combat (IC), it's RP in a non-RP environment (OOC) as the title of this threat states. There's nothing as detrimental to RP than having non-RPers in the midst because there's a clash of motivations. On one hand, you have individuals who are role-playing while on the other you have players who are seeking only to cut up everything in sight without regard for role-playing the effects and consequences of their actions, including those upon the RPers. I've seen it happen too many times to count even on RPIs no less) which is the primary reason I don't even play MUDs anymore (actually, the reason is more related to the lure of a larger playerbase at any expense which far too many game staff are attracted to; numbers don't mean anything if they impact the quality of the playerbase). That's where the "pregnant or not pregnant" comes in. It's not about whether or not there is combat in the game. It's about whether or not RP is required. If it's not, there's little sense in bothering with it because one can always find games with roles (soldier, etc) that do involve combat but in a RP-enforced setting.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote