View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Orson Scott Card obliterates J.K. Rowling

Well, here's the difference. Shakespeare is dead. He's not going to come by tomorrow and say, "Yes, I was trying to make Romeo a homosexual, and I commend the incredible dissertation you wrote on the sexuality of Romeo and Juliet." In fact, Shakespeare didn't write a lot of commentary on his own works. And to compare Shakespeare's works to Rowling's writings is incredibly laughable to me. I'd be more willing to compare them to Roald Dahl's works (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, The Phantom Tollbooth) or even James A. Barrie's Peter Pan, and honestly, it she'd fall pretty short there, too, but that's completely my opinion.

Again, I wonder, why does it matter if Dumbledore is gay or not? We don't discuss whether any other character in the book is straight or gay. They are what they are. Why explicitly go out of your way to make a formal declaration that Dumbledore is gay? This feels to me like I'm hip deep in some RP involving a war tribune against another city and I get an OOC tell that says, "By the way, the king is gay."

Does she deserve praise for making him gay? Why? Again, why does it matter if he's straight or gay? He is what he is. Making an actual declaration of it just seems incredibly bizarre to me. It's odd to me that she (and others) thinks she deserves praise for Dumbledore being gay. If that's a part of his character, then so be it. Address it in the books, not in a press conference.

Well, WoW makes more than all of the mudding community combined. Does that mean our games are completely inferior? Does it mean that Blizzard can come try to put all of us out of business because our content is similar to theirs? Does it mean that they have exclusive rights to make gear drop from mobs that people kill because they are the biggest and the best?

Again, we differ here, though I'm glad you were able to enjoy the books all the way through. I thoroughly loved book 1 to 4. Rowlings had created a unique world, and an interesting story. I was hooked, though things started going awry at the end of book 4 for me. Then I read book 5 and 6 and thought, "Wow. I totally wasted my time. Still, I loved those first books, so I'll stick with it." Book 7 was total crap for me, and I thought I was reading a compilation of 50% of the famous science fiction/fantasy books that have already been published and printed. I'll always recommend that people read books 1-3, but I'd tell them to be prepared for some sludge after that.

Anyway, even if her books were brilliant all the way through, I still think she's setting an incredibly bad legal precedent with this latest law suit. My fear is that with all her money and the power of the movie studios behind her, she might make it stick. I thought the same thing with the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail went after Dan Brown for his work of fiction. It seemed worse in that case because Dan Brown's work was complete fiction built around theories created by the Holy Blood, Holy Grail people, who wrote their book as non-fiction. In fact, Dan Brown's release of The Davinci Code allowed for a re-release of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and his character mentions the authors of the books quite frequently.

All these lawsuits occurred in England. I wonder if there's any connection.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote