View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Hostile Role Players

Have you ever encountered someone ICly who appears to be unreasonably offensive towards your or other players' characters?

I don't mean legitimate situations like when someone is playing a paladin and you're caught in the act of creating undead creatures and you have to pay the IC consequences, or if you pick a fight and lose role played PvP. I don't mean when you play on a one-life-only game and your rival kills you fair and square. I'm talking about when someone's comments are deliberately intended to be offensive and demeaning to the point of seeking to drive a person out of the group and possibly away from the game.

It's something which I think is difficult to describe and implicate in an enforced role play setting, because any third party can easily tell you that it's IC so it's fair game, and truly the hostile role player will be more than pleased to confirm that for you and tell you that you're taking IC actions way too seriously.

The best example I can think of is when someone uses IC communication to insult and offend you over something that isn't borne from a role play situation, but rather from combat, and particularly where the outcome relies on the game playing skills of the players and on the merciless rolls of the dice. If you're in a party with someone who repeatedly insults and degrades your character every time your spell fails or you nearly die or you actually do die, or (Dentin forbid) the party is wiped out and you get blamed by the hostile person for it, is there a point where this becomes excessive?

People do have feelings, and while it is neighboring on ridiculous if someone expects to play a total Mary Sue (or Marty Stu) who is absolutely gorgeous and talented and good at everything and then gets in a huff because someone took them down a few pegs, I think there are some things which should still be off-limits for role play insults. Anything hinging on combat and player skill only should probably be left out of someone's cross hairs. What good is it to the party if one member continually insults another member throughout, and then hides behind the enforced role play rules?
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote