View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road
Re: old guy looking for MUD?

Hi Tom,

You may try ArcticMUD and see if you like it. From my (very incomplete) statistics, ~50% of our new players are 25-35 years old (I personally started at 27). Since the game exists since 1992 and many of our players play for a decade or more, a large part of our playerbase must be 40+ now. Not sure about 60+, but who cares? Just join us and have fun!

The setting of the game is Dragonlance fantasy world. To tell the truth, I first started playing Arctic and read the novels only several years later to get the idea of the background. Imagine what - I was disappointed! An OK reading for teens (or even under-teens), but at 30+, it feels primitive. Solving the quests in Arctic is much more interesting.

As to typing, there is nothing to worry about. Arctic is a hack-n-slash DikuMUD and once you set the hotkeys in your client, you need just 1 finger to type F5 to bash, F6 to punch etc. You may talk to other players and do non-trivial quest actions later, when you rest after battle.

Finally, our newbie training area is excellent: the town of Solace was recently re-designed to make it a perfect starting place for a new player. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on our forum, or talk to other players and immortals directly in the game.

See you in Arctic!
Nasredin
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote