View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #48
iovan

Name: Elijah
Home MUD: DBAT
iovan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to iovan
Re: The "Health," of Muds

I understand that point but I don't happen to agree with it. I mean to a degree that's true but I don't think any level of client is going to make much of an impact. Not to discourage you or anything on making better clients. I can readily agree that a better interface can help draw people in.

I don't think it's so much that people crave graphics (I'm sure that's true in most respects) and are opposed to all text games. I think the main problem is most people don't even know there are text games or how exactly they work. I think it's a simplistic notion to just look at people playing graphical games and think that the graphics in the game is why they play those and not MUDs.

I seriously doubt more than 5% of them have tried a MUD (pulling it from my ass). I seriously doubt likewise that 10% of them have even heard of MUDs in detail (more than a passing comment between a second and third party). I believe that's the main reason MUDs don't get more players than they have anymore. With older players in the MUD community "retiring" and few people penetrating the "bubble" it has lead to this decline.

Text games are neither out of date or left behind by graphical games. They are an entirely different take on games that I believe most people could come to enjoy if they knew enough about them to choose. You can't choose something you know nothing about.

Myself as an example I got into MUDs back in 1999. I found out about MUDs by searching for free online RPGs. I had no idea what a MUD was at the time. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. Now this was back when MUDs had a larger player base in general if I'm not mistaken. Yet I only found out about them on accident then. I was heavily into forum RPing and browser based games like Utopia/Earth 2025 as well. There are still a great number of people like that out there today (greater actually) who would be willing to play MUDs but haven't heard of them.

I'm starting to ramble now but I hope my point was at least understood

Last edited by iovan : 08-01-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Meant to quote
iovan is offline   Reply With Quote