Thread: I'm So Pretty
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Maraz

Maraz is on a distinguished road
I don't describe my main character as being at all good looking - although I probably wouldn't say "ugly". He's a mercenary - so keeping well groomed and clean isn't a high priority; being in the thick of battle he's picked up a few scars (although they say "chick's dig scars"); and those drunken brawls have inevitably left him short of a few teeth. I try to make all aspects of my character reasonably realistic but also characterful. So if I was playing a noble character I might make that character good looking but perhaps not so strong or brave. Of course it's always good to do something that is slightly different from the archetype. So for example I might play a noble as having some kind of hereditary defect from inbreeding - which would be true to real life (eg. the Habsburg jaw).

I guess the reason that good looking characters are popular is that people go to MUDs to be someone else. Since you can be whatever you want of course people are going to want to be good looking. Most people wouldn't think that they were making the "perfect" character, but I bet that the kind of character flaws that their character has are the sort of people wish they had! That's why whenever I create a character I think of something that I hate about myself (or something I hate about someone else) and include that in my character.

Just one last thing to say is that you can go to far the other way. In the real world most people are neither really good looking or really ugly but just pretty average.

I guess at the end of the day though beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or as my character would say "The beer holder".
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote