View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: How to Prevent IC info being shared OOC'ly

I think it's artfiicial to draw this line between "player rp" and "staff run rp." It's the staff's job in a roleplaying mud to play the part of the mud world, which means every mob, every invisible person behind the scenes, every culture, every town, every leader that's not a player. It's completely unrealistic that players can get together in their sandbox, organize a major plot, and try to change the world, and the world doesn't react because the world is being nice and doesn't want to stifle the rp of a few of the people who live in it, becuase those few people are special and have a big glowing "PC" stamp on their forehead.

That's always a very subjective line, and hard to pinpoint. If I get together with friends, rp something, plan something, get something really awesome together, then after months of planning and getting ready, we execute the plan, I'm only going to be able to see things from my perspective. I spent months preparing this awesome takeover, or whatever else I was preparing. I'm going to think that as soon as the mud staff saw me, they stepped in and God-handed the situation to stop me, then helped out a player they like better. I'm then going to think the game is rigged and either quit or never try anything that requries effort any more.

But it's just as likely that the mud staff had been carefully watching this guy and his group of friends, deciding how best the mud world would react to that situation, and due to the longstanding culture in a certain town they decided that the populace wouldn't react well to the situation. So in their eyes they created a reaction of the mud world that maybe closed the door but opened a few windows, and the player involved just got all whiny becuase he didn't win immediately and easily and the whole game didn't bow to him. If there's really a complete ooc-ic separation going on, as far as anybody knows, that other player who ended up in charge might have had a hand in finding out what was going on, warning people, and steering the direction of the reaction the mud staff created.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote