View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why does fantasy have to be medieval?

It's been three decades since I read Lords of Light, but I remember it clearly. It is explicitly based on Hindu myth, and the explanation for what's happening, when it comes, is wholly technological. It is not "typical medieval fantasy" at all.

A minor point, perhaps, but unless we're going to say with Humpty Dumpty that all terms are open to individual feeling and interpretation--that "When I use a word ... it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less"--then I think we should probably go with how those terms are generally used. Arguing that "Star Wars is fantasy" and that "any game with magical or supernatural elements is fantasy" (rather than primarily Harry Potter or WoD/horror) simply sidesteps the valid opinion that medieval fantasy MU*s are very common despite, or maybe even because of, their limited originality.

Oh, and a Lords of Light MU* would rock if those playing knew something about and could have fun with Hindu mythology. That's a tall order, though - I certainly don't know enough to pull it off.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote