View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: Admining and Playing

DE's long term policy has been to never imm a person who hasn't played here. That has been a good strategy since it gives a grounding to the wannabe staff member and frankly I don't think its possible to be a good imm on a game you wouldn't have played yourself. There have been an exception or two to this, however, but very very very rarely (the game's original founder was one obvious exception).

It is, however, completely true that Imping on a game is a pretty much full time task that leaves little time for the mortal characters. Its also hard to let go of the sense of duty (being expected to do something) even when logged in as a mort (the whole use of alts to push RP forward thing that was mentioned earlier). And some of the sense of wonder passes when you know the mechanics behind the mprogs and the formulae for the code and some of the OOC background stuff behind the apparently strictly IC actions.

In my case it was partly a conscious decision, partly a sense of drifting away from the day to day mechanics.My profile is more of a manager/RPer in DE and I kinda figured that my contribution as an imm would be much greater then my morts. At the same time, it was also a conscious decision to return to playing mortal characters after a gap of several years. Why?

1. Its essential to make sure you are in touch with reality and the experiences of your playerbase and that you as an imp deliver what is expected of you. This involves both making the administrative calls which are needed, but is also a consequence of the fact that people tend to treat imps as if they are a live bomb that is about to explode at any moment (for the lack of better words; its almost impossible to get an honest opinion out of an average player if you ask him as an imp)

2. Have an independent source of information. Read previous para. Its so damn easy to fall of listening to only the flatterers who tell you what you want to hear. really BAD decisions are made that way.

3. Its a release. If you cant enjoy your own mud, then who can? there are times when you just want to go out and kill something or want to RP something with realistic power. RP for a goddess of Fire is really hard to find without someone either calling it, 1. Powerplay (not my fault I am powerful!) or 2. Favouritism (you favour your clan, alignment, friends). A mort (especially a lowbie one) permits you to simply BE.

That I am basically saying is, its HARD to draw that balance, but for me its essential to be a good admin.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote