Thread: Moneyless MUD
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Kitab

Kitab is on a distinguished road
Moneyless MUD

Hello there. I came up with an idea for an MMO with these distinguishing features:

It would be set in a peaceful world that has recently started to see attacks from various monsters. There would be a training-based skills system in which players learn combat, magic, medicine, thievery and a variety of crafts such as cooking, gardening and making clothes and other products. But there would be no monetary economy. The players would be organised into a number of communities and would combine their skills to defeat the non-playable (i.e. A.I.) monsters and would not fight each other (except perhaps for training purposes). You'd either have to get a band of people together to go and face the invading monsters, or they'd launch surprise attacks on a community. I do have more detailed thoughts about what it might look like - such as being able to see who taught whom their skills, and the ability to die and be reborn with your skills intact - but that's the essence of it.

Realising that a full-blown graphical MMO of this may never happen, I thought maybe it would be worth looking into MUDs, but I don't have much experience with either playing or making them. So the questions are: Are there any MUDs out there that have some or all of these ideas implemented? (Yes, I have done some research on my own already, but I feel that this is a rather specific query.) And if I were to brave making one myself (which is looking quite unlikely at the moment), are there any systems that spring to mind that could be suitable?
Kitab is offline   Reply With Quote