View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: A player's perspective

Hmm. Interesting to know. Now If I just was a bit more fond of Java. lol And yeah, I know that there is a difference, but the difference doesn't often matter. Same with Flash BTW. Some times it works, some times its horrible. I have had a few sites I go to where they have pulled Flash ads, simply because, as neat as it is, it will screw up the page load for 1-2 minutes, even on broadband. Why? Who the heck knows, it just does.

But yeah, with progressive loading, that might be nice. The only issue I can see with it is that a custom system would be adaptive to what actually needs to happen, to limit the lag someone on dialup is going to get, while most progressive systems presume they have some significant amount of the available bandwidth to work with. A fact that is only true for the broadband users. For dialup, anything more than say.. 20% being used to do something in the background is going to lag things badly enough that you won't like the result, and the newbie is probably not going to *get* that it was the fact that they clicked, "download as I play", that is causing it. Definitely quite interesting that they are adding something like that to Java.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote