View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
fjin

fjin is on a distinguished road
Re: From the Ground Up

Interesting ... Though I don't have time to invest MUD:ing, I just lurk here.

But some questions and random thoughts:

Is ship working well, like in:
* Star Treck Voyager - everything is new and shiny and works perfectly, exept that specific purposely tailored problem.

Or is everything about to fall apart, like in:
* StarGate Universe - Humans are in alien vessel, and trying to understand it and survives barely there, with constant need of some supplies.

Or is it otherwise chaotic setting, where just is also big theme, like in:
* Babylon 5 - big ship, and there was also all kinds of social classes living, from traders to poor people who strives to get their daily food somehow. Constant conflict solving between races.

Are players somehow working together, or is there place for troublemakers also (some characters tries to bring war to ship along them, saboteurs).

Have players gone through some kind of basic training (or even Space Academy), or is the ship in state, than there is no-one to give formal education to specific field - everything is learned from SONIA's database and/or from other fellow crewmembers.

I like to see:
All are skill based, if there is specific field of expertise, then players must pass test and they get Licence to practise it (from organic farmer to surgery).

Please: no levels, xp, hitpoints, character classes

Does everything work without players?
I think it is interesting to make environment the kind, where certain works just have to be done, or there is lack of certain basic supplies.
For example, if Organic Farmer does his job, then ship's cafeteria has larger variety of foods available (higher food value, keeps satisfied longer).
Or if Miners or Cargo haulers don't go to that next mineral rich, but hostile planet (or just asteroid) to get materials .... there will be shortage of chemicals and metals.
fjin is offline   Reply With Quote